Wednesday, October 14, 2009

1 year since the day i died a little inside

today is my DADS BIRTHDAY. it is also the ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY since the day he left. i have a hard time putting into words what it is he is going through and so i have decided to let my youngest sister MOLLY do a guest post for me today. she has gained a much better understanding of his situation than i have. i am still stuck in the bitter/angry stage and hope that one day i will move past that point. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD WE LOVE YOU!


this is a picture of my dad and i back in the day...

"Happy Birthday DAD!! 58!! One year down and “about” 6 months to go. We miss you. Here are some things we have learned during the past year and I think you have learned as well.
#1 GRACE is a beautiful thing because it makes life unfair. I do not look at this a negative thought and neither should anyone who is reading this. As my father turns the ripe age of 58 today (he would say he is 59 because he is in his 59th year) he will reflect on the past days, months, years and know that he has accomplished a great and amazing feat. This being the fact that his four children have all gained knowledge of the Grace of God. The “unfairness” of the situation is such that if everyone were to put all their trials into a large bucket, I would still pull this trial out for myself. How much I have learned from my father while he is away for no reason, but for the federal government to “exercise” their power and strength. But yet GRACE has touched our family
#2 PRAYER. For me prayer has always been an interesting concept. It is one of the most liberating experiences yet one of the most frustrating. I have never had one of those "wow" prayer moments. I have never thought of them as being answered I just enjoyed talking to someone/something about anything and everything and having no judgment. The reason this is in topic about my father on his birthday and year mark in FPC is the following example of prayer: I have not felt my father's absence in the sense of him being a void in our lives. Maybe this is because we get to talk to him, or we receive letters. But in conversation with him the other week I came to the conclusion it is because of his faith and prayer. He mentioned he was grateful to all of us children for helping our mother and how sorry he was to me for not being home to help through the difficult trials and decisions that had to be made. I told him that I never once felt a burden because he was not here (I realized the truthfulness of this statement even more saying it out loud). I have constantly felt my father’s arms and heard his voice when obstacles or joyous occasions have come up in the past year. I know he is praying for us. I know that God is listening and I know that he feels our prayers. He stated that he has felt the love of his family and friends surrounding him that can only have come through countless prayers on his behalf.
#3 HUMOR. You have to look at the situation and not dwell on the insanity of it all. He teaches fellow inmates: Math, History, English, etc...I mean can you imagine Brent Metcalf teaching you an English lesson? Boring!! Haahaha, but the best part is yes...what a good teacher he makes. He knows prison talk “that’s crazy” “don’t be trippin.” He has found a new love for country music. Though I love country it makes me smile and laugh a little when I think of him listening to Jason Aldean.
#4 OPEN-MINDEDNESS. This not being tolerance with our government, but yet a tolerance and acceptance of the different cultures that surround us every day. He has taken up meditation, befriended individuals going through addictions, just talked to people. I do not know if I can recall my dad having conversations with anyone outside of church. This is true and I love that he has been able to “tolerate” accept different people and ideas around him. Does this change his testimony, no I believe it has made it stronger.
He has worked hard on his case, he has gained knowledge of our judicial system I would love to have. He has taught us not to give up and I believe he will continue to fight for the rights of other FPC inmates even when he is home here in Utah.
This is really long. I could talk about my dad forever. Bottom line is that he is stuck in Colorado away from his family and if we could have one birthday wish it would be for him to come home soon, stay safe, stay faithful and know that we all love him."-Molly Emma Metcalf

5 comments:

nicole said...

That was beautiful. I couldn't have said it better.

lpettey said...

Very Nice Molly. Beautifully said!

Lisa P. said...

Ok I am totally crying! that was beautiful. I agree. your perspective is incredible and it could help anyone in any kind of trial. love all you metcalfs!!

ps marci i do read your blog each and every day. I look forward to it each day:)

H C M said...

That was a very impressive post. Those are powerful things to learn. The Lord has a way of making awful things right because of what changes and blessings come as a result. Hang in there. We keep y'all in our prayers.

lookbothways said...

OK, I always think what do my children think of me????I know their dad is their hero, he is mine. He is experiencing totally different things than we are. And yes I have come to the conclusion God is great Beer is good and people are crazy. Another country song. I have even started having fights with Brent in my dreams, Just like we used to, over the stupidest stuff. So I have forgiven all involved with his case and his sentencing and all the little people in the jail system who did not feed him or made him feel like a piece of dirt. I have forgiven everyone who does not believe in Brent being not guilty.
I have been so blessed, Kyle's wedding, his wife, Molly for keeping me laughing and knowing how to fight, for Marc Walter and the 3 little people I love more than life, especially the Mexican Jumping bean, whom I am so excited for Brent to get to really know. And for Scott and Nicole and their two loving, giving me kisses every day and hugs and dinosaurs. The help around the house the safety I feel ( believe me, you might think Molly is one tough Honcho, but really not not not). The comfort Brent has left me with in the money department. He somehow knew to prepare. I love him more than anyone can imagine. I will kiss his feet when he comes home and never let go of him for days. Sorry beaners but I get him for about 5 days. I will not let go.
My dearest, kind, Saviour, who has been there even when I didn't reach out. Or even when I did in anger. Thanks to all of you I know love Brent and give me strength. I can't mention names , there are too many. Thank you.

wishing on the moon